Welcome to our blog!! We are learning to decorate cakes and loving every minute of it!! Join us by following our journey of designing and decorating cakes! Thanks for your interest and let us know what you think of our cakes by leaving a comment! -- Margie and Joy

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Nurse Graduation Cake

Nurse Graduation Cake
 Phil P sent me a message on Facebook several months ago asking if I would make a Nurse Graduation Cake for his wife (and my friend) Annie.  I asked for a few ideas of what they wanted, then started researching it online.  I looked at real pictures of nursing items and also looked at how other cake decorators made each of these items.  Each cake I looked at had different things I did and did not like. 
 Annie's favorite flavor of cake is lemon, so the top layer and the hat is triple lemon cake with lemon cream cheese frosting.  The bottom layer is a triple chocolate pound cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting.


 Everything on this cake is edible - gum paste, fondant, buttercream frosting, royal frosting, food writers and food coloring.    I was able to make almost everything I wanted to except a thermometer.  Time ran out unfortunately...
But I was able to get:  a prescription bottle with top and pills, bandage roll, band aids,  tweezers, nursing cap, diploma with Trinity's school colors, hypodermic needle, and pink stethoscope.  The bottle has Annie's graduation date and her cell phone number on it! 
 The last touch was a message handwritten by Phil to Annie.  He planned this party for her and the cake was his idea...  nothing like a personal message from him!

Thanks for looking!  

No comments:

Post a Comment